Thursday, January 19, 2012

Israel or Athens

Really struggled today with choosing between going to Israel or Athens. I was sooo tempted to book a flight to Tel Aviv until it dawned on me that the Israeli government takes their national security very seriously. I've heard stories about women & children being subjected to strip searches at the airport simply because they looked exotic or different. And to the Israelis, such invasive checks are nothing out of the ordinary and are totally acceptable. I don't think I'm prepared for that yet. But for a moment, I was imagining myself having an out-of-body-like experience walking around Jerusalem and visiting the holiest of all holy sites for Christians. What a moving experience that would have been (sigh!). Guess for now, I'll settle for the splendor of Acropolis.

No comments: